WELCOME TO
ST MICHAEL'S
CHURCH


Sir Gerald de Lisle Tomb

A TOMB OF SIR GERALD DE LISLE

The grey Purbeck marble Tomb of Sir Gerald de Lisle a medieval Crusader Knight. He lies cross-legged with a tunic over his chain mail and in his left hand he holds a shield with a long-tailed lion. The front of the tomb bears a shield with the arms of the de Lisle family. In 1310, during the reign of Edward II, the Lord of Stowe, Sir Geralds father, took up arms against the King and was taken prisoner and executed. Stowe Manor was seized and held by the King. When Gerald showed loyalty to the Crown and took part in the Crusades, his fathers' possessions were restored to him and he became Lord of the Manor.

C MEMORIAL TO DR THOMAS TURNER

The Memorial to Dr Thomas Turner, President of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, who bequeathed the manor and estates to the governors of a charity for the relief of poor widows and children of clergymen.

Lady Elizabeth Carey Tomb
B ALTAR TOMB OF LADY ELIZABETH CAREY

The altar tomb of Lady Elizabeth Carey was commissioned by her son, the Earl of Danby in 1620 ten uears before her death, so unlike many memorial tombs, it is a good portrayal of her. She lies dressed in a fine ermine robe open to reveal a delicately embroidered bodice. Her head is partly wrapped in a cloth but rests on an equally fine pillow. She wears exquisite tiny shoes, one of which is supported by her heraldic griffin. It is a beautifully carved marble figure and has been described as one of the finest pieces of sculpture of the age, for both design and execution. At a cost of 220, it was the work of Nicholas Stone, Master Mason to King Charles I and is said to be one of his most important works, second only to his monument to John Donne in St Pauls Cathedral.

D MEMORIAL TO CHARLES CRAWLEY

The memorial to Charles Crawley, Rector for sixty years (1789 - 1849)

Saxon Arch
G SAXON ARCH

The Tower is of Saxon origin (circa 950-1100) and with its medieval battlements, it is the oldest part of the church. The original Saxon Arch leads from the Tower into the Nave. In the Tower hang four bells which are of considerable interest and merit, as two of them, dated circa 1390 and 1590, have listed status in the 'Scedule of Bells for Preservation' in the Peterborough Diocese.

I MONUMENT TO JOHN DAY

A Monument to John Day, Controller of the Foteign Post Office. It was erected here by his daughters who commissioned John Middleton of Towcester to carry out the work. One of his daughters was the third wife of the Reverend John Lloyd D.D who ws Rector of Stowe from 1754-1789.

Monument to John Day
Victorian Octagonal Font
H VICTORIAN OCTAGONAL FONT

The Victorian Octagonal Font, used for baptisms/christenings occupies the site of the former staircase leading to the Gallery which was removed in 1859. The previous 13th century font was situated adjacent to the South-West Pillar in the Nave.

J THE INCUMBENTS BOARD

The Incumbents Board shows that the earliest reference to an incumbent was 'Walter' "Sacerdot de Stowe" but there is no date. The first rector against which there is a date, wasHugh de Pateshull in 1230. It also shows that from 1789, when Charles Crawley was instituted as Rector at Stowe-IX-Churches, a member of the Crawley family was minister at St Michaels until 1921.

Saxon Doorway
E SAXON DOORWAY

The Victorian Octagonal Font, used for baptisms/christenings occupies the site of the former staircase leading to the Gallery which was removed in 1859. The previous 13th century font was situated adjacent to the South-West Pillar in the Nave.

F BATH STONE PILLARS

The Incumbents Board shows that the earliest reference to an incumbent was 'Walter' "Sacerdot de Stowe" but there is no date. The first rector against which there is a date, wasHugh de Pateshull in 1230. It also shows that from 1789, when Charles Crawley was instituted as Rector at Stowe-IX-Churches, a member of the Crawley family was minister at St Michaels until 1921.

Plan of St Michaels Church